4.19.2009

Karma

Last night I went to the Mother's Mother of all Bonfires.
The boys that hosted it have been getting ready for it for weeks now.
Before the burn started the wood pile was at least fifteen feet tall and it had a little Christmas tree on top of that.
To get the fire started, five boys came marching in carrying their rifles.  The firing squad shot their rifles into the pile and it exploded and started on fire.  Pretty dramatic entrance.
This picture doesn't even do it justice.  This was after it had been burning for about 2 hours.  It was still going strong.  You couldn't stand any closer than 30 feet without being scorched.

So anyway, this bonfire was out in the middle of this field.  They built the bonfire over a stream.  Before the firing squad came out they herded us all to one side, and we had to cross the stream on a board to get to the other side.  They had a truck out there shining its lights onto the bonfire so we could see the ignition.  As we were all standing there waiting for them to get ready, this girl showed up late.  It is dark and she is running across the field.  Right before she gets to the stream she yells, "Hey guys!"  We all turn to look at her (all 120 of us), and now she is in front of the truck and being illuminated for a better view, right as she steps into the stream.   There was no turning back, her momentum was taking her forward and she runs all the way across the stream in water up to her knees.  It's probably not funny to anyone that wasn't there, but the timing of it all was perfect and it was hilarious.  Everyone gave a little chuckle.  However, I, being the rude person that I am, laughed uncontrollably.  Then I got everyone around me laughing because I was laughing so hard.  I was crying and couldn't breathe.  Good stuff.

After they got the fire going, I walked back over to the house to clean up the BBQ we'd had before the bonfire.  I had to walk back across the big field to get to the house.  When we had walked over to the bonfire it was still a little light out so we could see.  It was very dark when I was walking back.  It had been raining all week and part of the field was a little swampy.  Next thing I know I am standing in a monster puddle.  All I could do was laugh.  That's what I get for being mean.

LESSON TO BE LEARNED:  Don't laugh when someone runs through a river or you'll find yourself in a big cow poopy puddle and looking like this...
Too bad I probably didn't learn my lesson.

7 comments:

Caytee said...

Now that is funny! For some reason...the whole laughing scenario...doesn't surprise me one bit.

Trevor and Jamie said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR STORIES!! THEY ALWAYS MAKE ME LAUGH SO HARD!

Amy Jo said...

See bonfires can be fun! by the way this is Amy Jo Summers! :)

Jess Bess said...

Laughing at other people is the only appropriate thing to do. I need you to resend me the link of the hair.

Luke and Bridget said...

HAHAHAAAAA!

Shannon said...

I can totally picutre you laughing hysterically at someone's expense. I can picture it because I've SEEN you do it. You are the best!

kimchristiansen said...

haha, i have had that done before also:) p.s love the photo for your header!!