1.19.2009

Public Speaking Quota Filled

Last night I had to give a fireside.  Yes, the WHOLE fireside!!!
It was on being an example, what do I know about that?

I am the world's best procrastinator.  I knew about the fireside for three weeks.  I did nothing for the first two weeks.  Most of it was done the day before and they day off.  I finished my preparations thirty minutes before it was time to be there.  

I had about 50 minutes to speak.  I had no clue how much material I had prepared.  I had 20 pages of notes, but I talk fast, so I could get through each page in about one minute.  That still left me with 30 minutes.  I just thought that it would be really short and everyone would be okay with that.

I wasn't nervous at all until after my first story when I had to start being serious.  I got over my nervousness a little, but who knew that 30 teenagers could be so intimidating!  Hopefully something that was said will help at least one of them.

I underestimated my ability to talk and talk and talk and talk.  After 45 minutes were up, I still had 7 pages of notes left.  Look who is an overachiever after all!  However, I am a FIRM believer of ending on time, so I skipped right to the end.  Then came the best part, the cookies!

2 comments:

Caytee said...

I love it! No surprise missy! Sent the invite! Much love!

Shannon said...

Look at you Miss Public Speaker! Nice work ending on time...very important!