Every summer hundreds of older people come up from Arizona and stay in the student housing during the summer. My ward hosts a square dance with them each summer. It's pretty much my favorite activity of the year. The first year I went, I was dancing with this old man and he would always get confused and go the wrong way, get lost, and then swear at me. I would laugh every time.

Those two ladies dancing around the guy in the green were my favorite this year.
Just look at them, how can you not love that?
This year there were many more girls than guys, so I danced with another girl in my ward and was the male half of the couple.

So I honestly don't know left from right sometimes (okay...ALL the time) and I would get a little confused (as seen below).

I wasn't even having to participate right at that moment, and I was still a little lost.
My partner didn't mind, but my corner, Sharon, wasn't amused.
I would often miss my allemande with Sharon because I was figuring out which way was left.

Sharon is the one dancing with the guy in the brown shirt.
I know she looks happy there, but don't let that fool you.
After the regular square dancing, the caller combined the groups. He made it so that there were 2 to 3 people linking arms to form one person.
You can see everyone linking arms above.
We had to do the dances like that.
It was a lot harder than you might think.
Sharon wasn't my corner anymore, so I think she enjoyed it.
To end the night we did a little line dancing.
We did the Electric Slide to Boot Scootin' Boogie.
Interesting choice, but fun nonetheless.
When I am older I hope there are awesome activities like this for me to go to.
I'll go and pinch all of the young boys' bums.
That'll be the life!
4 comments:
I'm so jealous! This looks like so much fun. I love old people. And I love old people even more when they dance.
THat is great! I love your poses in the pictures too. That is classic!
AHHHHH! I love it! That would be so fun and I probably wouldn't be able to stop laughing!
So Sharon's pretty serious about the line dancing huh? Don't they know that your real dancing talent comes only when listening to Justin, JC, Joey, Chris, and Lance? I love reading your blog Nic.
Post a Comment