This past week I got the opportunity to be an EFY (Especially For Youth) counselor with these fantastic kiddos.
This was my second year as a counselor, and I absolutely love it. I honestly can't think of anything I'd rather do with my summers. I had the BEST youth this week. I absolutely adore them. Here is a recap of the week.
(Warning: THIS WILL GET LONG)
Preface: By the time I got my polo, any size even close to mine were long gone. My polos were GIGANTIC. They were only a few inches above my knees and the sleeves came way past my elbows. Needless to say, I looked good.
Monday:
This week I was with another girl group and a guy group. My co-s (co-counselors) were awesome this week and we all got along great.

All of our youth met each other and I could tell right away that we were going to have an awesome group. Our company name was Fellow Beings, but no one could ever understand that, so we quickly became known as the BEANS! We played that game where everyone sits in a circle and one person is in the middle. The person in the middle has to say something like, "Anyone with sunglasses on," and everyone with sunglasses on has to switch seats. One of the boys said, "Everyone who didn't take a shower today!" I knew right then we'd get along. EFY is not for the hygienically inclined people. When it comes down to sleep or a shower - sleep will win 80% of the time.
That evening we played FHE games, drug each other across the grass, and laughed hysterically.
We also had goal setting time and we were supposed to set a company goal. Our goal was to start a band. We did set other real goals, but I like the band goal best.
Tuesday:
The youth had classes all day and I was on class duty all day, which meant that I sat on a sidewalk for hours at a time. Pretty exciting.
That night we had our first dance of the week. There is nothing quite like an EFY dance. Everyone is sweaty and gross. Lots of the guys don't have a dry spot on them by the end. Being a counselor means that you dance crazy the entire time to make your youth less self-conscious. It results in me looking like this:
Pretty intense, I know.
Wednesday:
The youth had more classes, but this time I got to go with them. They don't have to stick with their companies, but the Beans were so awesome that our whole company went together and staked out the front row. That is rare.
During free time, some of the boys decided that they wanted to try out for the variety show. I helped them choreograph a dance to N Sync's Bye Bye Bye. It was pretty impressive for only having two hours.
This will be their album cover when they are famous.
One of the boys also auditioned with this:
After that we had games night. I love games night. We get to hang out with the youth, play ridiculous games, and just have fun.
They also had to create a cheer based on our company name. Thanks to the Wonder Pets, our company made it into the cheer-off!
We also had pizza night on Wednesday, which means FIREHOUSE! WAHOO!! We sat around and had girl talk. We also played IPod Idol. You put your headphones in and sing along. I sang to High School Musical's Bet On It by Troy. I can't find the video though. I'm sure it was amazing.
Thursday:
Our boys made it into the variety show! Here is their performance.
I was their band manager. Company goal: Start a band - CHECK!
Those boys are too cute.
We also had our testimony meeting that night. Their strength and spirit never ceases to amaze me. Thursday nights are the best.
Friday:
I met my twins on Friday.
I hope my girls look like that. How adorable are they?
Lunch time was spent perfecting our jumping pictures.
I think we got it down. I love our shadows, they are so fun!
Then we had our service activity...coloring! We colored car mats for less fortunate kids.
We couldn't leave until all of the companies were done, so we had our own photo shoot.
After our hard work, we went to AGGIE ICE CREAM! It was our last time to just hang out as a company. As my co Spencer said, "It's an ice cream sosh!" Sosh - short for social.
This was one of the funniest times of the entire week. I laughed so loud the entire time. The kids kept recording me laughing which would make me laugh harder.
My boys created me a rap. It honestly makes no sense, but I laugh so hard every single time!
Memorable lines:
She has bright hair and she doesn't shower
She died four times, but then ate a bagel and was brought back to life like some crazy fable
I also made up a rap for one of the boys.
It wasn't supposed to be a rap, so some of the lines don't fit in the beat. I tried.
Friday night is mass picture night.
These are my wonderful co-s, Spencer and Kristen.
Our studly boys. They have a piece of my heart.
My BEAUTIFUL girls! I miss them already.
Our whole company. Seriously amazing kids. I can't say enough good things about them.
We hit up another dance after the pictures and then said our goodbyes.
Awesome week. Awesome kids. Awesome experiences.
I have the best job ever!
2 comments:
Sweet! How fun! I wish I would have done that!
Good job Nicole. You're so good with teenagers-- ever think of moving to high school grades to teach? I love your laugh and your "Woooo"s after the skits and cheers.
Post a Comment